Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Things I'll Miss About Portland

So in this last week of rushing around, trying to get my stuff together for France, I've been thinking about both what I'll miss about Portland, and all the things I'm looking forward to. I'm a little sad to be leaving Portland, but at the same time I know I'll return, so I'm not too sad.

Things I'll miss about Portland:

- The Mountains! Having 3 large cascade peaks towering over your city is pretty amazing. Mt. Hood and Mount St. Helens are the closest, and Mt. Adams can also be seen on a clear day (Occasionally you can even see the tip of Mt. Rainier and Mt. Jefferson). It's an amazing site when after days of cloudiness suddenly this huge mountain appears out of nowhere.

- Hiking in the Cascades, The Columbia River Gorge, Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson.... I could go on forever. The Pacific Northwest is just simply beautiful.

- The Laurelhurst Theatre. Sometimes I don't think I'll ever want to go to a multiplex again. At the Laurelhurst you can see a relatively current movie (3-6 months behind the multiplexes), for $3 in the evening, and have beer and pizza while you watch it. What more could you want?

- The fact that when it gets about 85 degrees, 99% of the people in Portland complain about how hot it is, and I can just sit back and enjoy it and laugh at them.

- The roses that everyone in this city seems to have in their yards

- The insane amount of great restaurants in this city, and going to my favorite one Pambiche (Cuban food) for happy hour and desserts.

- Powell's books- there's nothing quite like living in a city that has the largest independent bookstore in the U.S. The perfect place to go on a rainy day.

- My great friends. It's amazing both how many interesting and wonderful people I've met in the past 2 years. And equally amazing how many people that I've known from other times in my life have moved to Portland recently.

No comments: