Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Scrabble Sorrows

Late Oct. 07 042

So anyone that knows me well (or has ever played board/card games with me) knows that I am very competitive and absolutely hate to lose. This side of me probably comes from my perfectionism and wanting to be good at everything I do, and from the most major sin I possess...pride. I know I shouldn't have so much pride, but I do and that is reflected in really wanting to win when I play Scrabble.

Unfortunately for me, Matt happens to be a very good Scrabble player. He's been playing for a very long time, and I'm assuming taking lots of language classes doesn't hurt. I feel like I am constantly cursed with being around good scrabble players. When I was younger I would occasionally try to play with my Mom and Grandma and would always get frustrated by how good they were. They have been playing together for many many years, and know most if not all of the 2 and 3 letter words by now.

Well to get to the point, Matt brought a travel Scrabble board with him, and we have been playing at least once a week since we arrived here. In all our games I have only managed to win once. And Matt won't even let me have satisfaction in that by noting that unlike our other games it was a 3 person game, with his friend Joe.
The next game we had after I won Matt bet me two euros that he could beat me by 100 points. I thought there was no way I could lose that bet even if I lost the game. Sadly I was wrong and lost by something like 150 points. It was very sad. Here's me after that loss:

Late Oct. 07 036

So now I have resigned myself to losing every time we play, even though I still try very hard. In the process I am hopefully learning more about the game, and improving my playing skills. I've looked up the 2 letter words online and that you might be interested in some of the acceptable 2 letter words:
AA- lava
OE- a whirlwind
ZA- pizza
MM- I don't know what it means but apparently its acceptable
KI- vital force in chinese thought
UT- a note of scale

8 comments:

Matt said...

Haha!

Alyo & Fab in Singapour said...

Hi there Wendy,

really enjoyed reading about your adventures on your blog, and really admired your pictures. Privas looks like a cute and friendly town to live in. I'm glad you're enjoying all the bakery/patisserie staff. Hope the adjusting period goes well. don't ever hesitate to call if there is anything i can help out with.
say hello to matt.

take care
bises
ally

Susanne said...

You crack me up. Why do you think I DON'T play Monty with Grandma & Mom very often. Keep trying!

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy!
Still losing are you?
If it makes you feel any better, your scrabble "sadness" has motivated Jose and I to get our scrabble board out.
Generally, I lose, because ours is in Spanish.

Talk soon.
Love,
Marina

Wendy said...

Yes I'm still losing, and not very gracefully. I made Matt promise to play Cribbage sometime soon so I can actually win at something

Anonymous said...

Wendy! Finally I have a Sunday to myself and I have a chance to catch up on your blog. Your place looks great. And I probably shouldn't have read about all the food first thing when I woke up- I'm starving! Stick with the Scrabble. Barralls (Rodgers) don't lose. Love you! Danni

Susanne said...

Oh, do you suppose that "mm" is just as in "delicious" or "yum"? What's for Thanksgiving dinner?

Anonymous said...

Ms Wendy, U look like your MOM! I and Eryn enjoyed seeing all your pictures today. I'm in Escondido, and Thanksgiving will be in Laguna Niguel at Brian's. I'd love to be in Europe. It s so beautiful to see the aged buldings.

saw Sara McBride at her Dad's art shop wth the 90,000 dollar dragon bar-b-que. Impressive, I ate a hot dog. I will give her your blog address. She is at Sara@steelisalive.com Tammy is doing wind sailing and said she will invite me.... I hope.Cheers, Rosalie