Friday, February 22, 2008

2 Countries and 29 hours of travel later...

Hey everyone I just wanted to let you know I am back in the U.S. and enjoying being back in Ridgecrest for the first time in more than a year.

The past week has been very busy, but lots of fun. Matt and I left Privas on Sunday the 17th early in the morning with all my bags and made our way to Paris. We spent the next 4 days in and around Paris until I left on Wednesday night. There were lots of highlights and I'll post photos eventually but the best parts were getting to visit Ally and finally meet her husband Fabrice, visiting Matt's friend Agnes at her parents house and having fabulous melted Raclette cheese with dinner on my last night in France, walking around Paris, eating gelato, visiting the Rodin museum and best of all spending time in Chartes Cathedral. It was a great visit and a very pleasant way to spend my last few days in France. I took something like 300 pictures in Paris (most of them at Chartes). So sometime next week I'll have some up.

My travel home all went smoothly. I wish it hadn't taken me 29 hours to get home... but really it was the only affordable option. For anyone travelling to France anytime soon I highly recommend flying through Ireland like I did. It saved me at least $500 if not more. For whatever reason flights out of Paris direct to the U.S. were at least $1000 for one way tickets. My ticket from Ireland... around $300. Even with the flight from Paris to Dublin which was around $150 I still saved a ton. The only downside of this plan was that I had to take the last possible evening flight on Wednesday and then a mid morning flight from Dublin on Thursday thus necessitating me spending the night in the airport. That was not a pleasant experience but I got through it and I suppose thats what matters.



I flew Aer Lingus and highly recommend them. I've had all good experiences with Aer Lingus. Great in flight entertainment (I actually managed to watch 2 Oscar nominated films while in flight), Atonemnet and Michael Clayton, and would have watched Into the Wild if I hadn't just seen it. The also had really good food which was a big surprise.

Despite the fact that I got about 1 hour of sleep combined between the night in the airport and the 11 hours on the plane, I somehow feel pretty good. I slept fairly well last night and don't seem to have much jet lag so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Anyway now I'm back in windy Ridgecrest, where I will hopefully be able to enjoy the sun for a few days after the current rainstorm clears out. I'm looking forward to cooking for Mom and Dad, organizing my things hear and just relaxing a bit. I'll be here until Thursday and then its back to Portland.

No comments: