Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Frenetic Oregon Spring

So Oregon is currently having a very frenetic spring. On any given day it might snow, rain, be foggy, be sunny and hail all on the same day. I've begun to take my raincoat everywhere, wear layers and never depend on the forecast.

When I first got back to Oregon it seemed like spring was popping up all over. There were signs of it everywhere. The daffodils were out, the magnolia was blooming beautiful pink petals and tulips were emerging all over the yard.



Indoors my roommate Reeds gerber daisies and geraniums were going crazy with blooms. Reed was already seeding for her garden when I got back to Oregon and she let me use some of her trays and sunlight from the front window to seed tomatoes, arugula, lemon cucumbers and bell peppers. Over the last few years I've been wanting to learn more about gardening and Reed has helped me learn. This is the first year I've attempted to seed indoors before growing season instead of just planting starts that I've gotten at the nursery. About half of my first try came up and it looks like my heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers are starting to emerge.





So it appeared that spring was well on its way, and suddenly the weather got a little crazy and it ended up snowing! That doesn't happen very often at the end of March. It didn't stick for very long, but it was a little bizarre seeing the poor daffodils and magnolia blossoms covered in snow.







Two days after it first snowed I went on a morning hike at a park a mile from my house and snow was in the air again! It was wonderfully foggy and misty but it definitely didn't feel like spring.



I was hiking at Powell Butte, the place I normally go blackberry picking in the summer and saw many leftover berries from last year, frozen in place.



I sincerely hope our weather starts to get a bit more springlike. I'm ready to get out and do more hiking and see some wildflowers. However, as of tomorrow my vacation from work is officially over. I found a great job at a bakery called Baker and Spice Bakery and am very excited to be going back to work. So my hiking and free time will now be limited to Sundays and Mondays.

No comments: