Sunday, September 30, 2007

Un Vrai Repas Francais

So Matt and I are currently knocked out from our first really true French meal. And by true French meal, I mean a meal with many many many courses. Matt's advisor here in Privas, Yvonne, invited us to lunch today (Sunday). I figured a lunch would not be as overwhelming as a French dinner. That was not the case!

So the meal started with appetizers of olives, french toasted almonds, and pumpkin seeds... with cider to drink. Then the real meal began with Italian dry breadsticks and an aubergine (eggplant) spread, followed by salad and rye bread. Then came the quenelles, which are a specialty of Lyon, where Yvonne is from. They were so different I don't think I can even describe them. It was almost like a mix between pasta and quiche, with a tomato sauce. They were very very good. When we were done with the quenelles, I was sure they were our main dish, but no there was more. Then came the fish course of sole with lemon. I loved it, though was served a lot of it, and felt I had to eat it. Of course french bread, and a local red wine came with the meal. Next came the cheese course of 3 local chevre's. Then finally was a fruit and dessert course with some kind of spanish pastry and coffee. Whew, it almost knocks me out just thinking about it again. It was truly amazing. I puts all of my past dinner parties to shame. I will definitely have to step up my game when doing dinners here.

After lunch, which lasted 2-3 hours, we went for a walk in the hills above Privas where Yvonne and her husband live. It was very beautiful and seemed very French. Lots of stone houses, chestnut trees, roosters roaming about, etc...

Well this shall be my last post for a little while. We're leaving the hotel and its free wi-fi for a place of our own finally. I'm very happy to finally be able to unpack my bags, a month after leaving Portland! However, the internet access may take a week or two.

Enjoy the coming week!

2 comments:

EnderWun said...

Oh my, it sounds as though you are have quite the adventure...my mouth waters just reading the lists of tasty treats you've encountered so far! May there be more ups then downs, more wine then vinegar, more laughs then frowns, and there are more sweet things in life then sugar.

Susanne said...

Yea... my mouth would be watering too. I hope you're getting settled into your new abode smoothly. Thinking of you!!