Friday, September 28, 2007

Ups and Downs

Trying to exist in a country where you don't speak the language well is hard. It doesn't feel very good. I'm really hoping that this feeling of alienation will pass eventually. I really thought that the French I knew before I left the U.S. would at least get me by in basic situations. And I suppose it has to a degree. Where I am really having problems is understanding what is being said to me. Everyone seems to speak so fast, and an aspect of french that makes this harder is that words in a sentence tend to be blended together when spoken. It's also plainly obvious to anyone that I speak to that I'm a foreigner and can't speak very well. It doesn't help that I'm an introvert who doesn't really like to speak to people in any language!

Oh well, C'est la vie! I'm hoping this will get easier with time. Matt of course is having a grand old time speaking French, and that makes it easier on me, when we're together, but also makes me more dependent on him for understanding and communications. He really enjoys speaking French and its fun to watch him. However, if I'm going to stay here I'm going to have to learn more of this on my own.

On the upside I have been greatly enjoying the fact that pastry and baking is given great reverence here. There is literally a patisserie on every block. I couldn't believe how many we passed when we were in Paris. There are also Boulangerie and Chocolatier shops all over the place. I love it! I can't wait to go into the local places here. I've already had many great desserts in the past week. In Paris I tried a Glan (eclair with pistachio glaze), in Grenoble we went out to each in the Italian district and I had the best Tiramisu I've ever had, and here in Privas, Matt had an amazing ice cream dessert with chestnut puree (apparently chestnuts are a local specialty).

This whole past week has been full of ups and downs. I think this has been a very emotional experience so far because I left my whole life behind to come here, and its difficult to realize that I might not always be happy here, and its going to be a struggle to fit in. But I'm hoping that the beautiful sights and yummy pastries, and good company will get me through the down times.

The best news of the day is that Matt and I have a place to live. This was a big worry for both of us, so we're both feeling really happy about it. Matt has a wonderful school supervisor/advisor who is helping him with administrative issues and she took him out to appartments this morning and helped him find a place within 3 hours! Renting appartments is apparently much more difficult here than in the U.S., so it was wonderful to have her help. It's also inexpensive ($350 euros a month for a one bedroom appartement) and fully furnished.

Anyway, so things are looking up and down and up and down and I never really know how I'm going to feel, but hopefully once we can move into our new place and get settled things will mellow out. All I can do is keep trying to learn the language and try to find a place for myself here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wendy-
I love reading your updates! I sympathized more than you know with your last blog (even though I did speak the language, I still had a pretty emotional transition when I moved there), and I just wanted to share that at least from my experience it only gets easier and better as time goes on!
Chin up, and have a blast :)
-Maggie

Susanne said...

Hi there!! I'm glad you've got a place to live and are having FUN. I'm jealous every day and am learning my lesson on the evils of envy. ;-) I remember John saying he felt the same way about the language as you did when he was heading for and then arriving in Mexico. Give it a few weeks and you'll be flying through conversations like a pro, I bet. Nothing like immersing yourself in a language. Got your email. Mom seems to be in relatively good spirits even after a big brough-ha-ha of miscommunications with the doctors and hospitals. Hugs!

Lisa said...

Hi Wendy! Hang in there, things will all click into place soon! And just think, you are living in France...sooooo cool! Know that there are many of us hoping for nothing best for you and Matt during your time in France! Soak it all in and enjoy the pastries along the way :)

Wendy said...

Hi guys,
Thanks for the uplifting responses. I think I needed a bit of a pick-me-up!